Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Health Care Utilization -- MeSH and Keywords

A patron asked me to produce a search strategy with a major focus on barriers to use of health care (but not barriers to health care access).   

I ended up using EBSCOhost MEDLINE so that I could  use proximity searching in this and other search concepts.  EBSCOhost MEDLINE strategy:

(MM "Patient Acceptance of Health Care" OR MM "Health Services+/UT" OR TI ((healthcare OR "health care" OR care OR help OR treatment) N3 (utiliz* OR utilis* OR use OR accept* OR refus* OR seek*)))

I would have considered N4, N5, ... or AND  instead of N3, but the patron's search with other concepts added was retrieving more than 1000 results after filters had been applied.

The closest PubMed version is relatively specific for the concept:

"Patient Acceptance of Health Care"[Majr] AND "Health Services/utilization"[Majr] OR ((healthcare[ti] OR "health care"[ti] OR care[ti] OR help[ti] OR treatment[ti]) AND (utiliz*[ti] OR utilis*[ti] OR use[ti] OR accept*[ti] OR refus*[ti] OR seek*[ti])) 


I'm posting this strategy, in part,because I want to be able to find it again in the future-- it took longer than it should have to get this far.   I'm also interested in any input on improving the search.   My gmail username=cindymschmidt   and  my unmc.edu username=cmschmidt